Timeline of Mont-Saint-Hilaire
This page contains an image that weights 146kb. Please wait while the image loads. Timeline of Mont-Saint-Hilaire
1694 - Jean-Baptiste Hertel becomes the first seigneur of the Mont-Saint-Hilaire area (granted by Louis XIII)
1724 - Upon her husband's death, Marie-Anne Beaudoin becomes seigneur
1745 - Gradual formation of village near the mountain
1750 - Construction of several miles along the mountain stream
1768 - Construction of Chemin de la Montagne
1795 - Saint-Hilaire parish founded
1798 - First chapel in Saint-Hilaire, near the Richelieu
1822 - Ferry begins service between Beloeil and Saint-Hilaire
1822 - The Rouville seigneurie has a population of 772 in 124 families
1837 - Colonel Wetherall and his troops make camp at Manoir Rouville
1841 - Cross build on Pain de Sucre summit
1844 - Thomas Edmund Campbell becomes seigneur
1848 - The Grand Trunk railway crosses the Richelieu
1850 - The village has nine mills, one distillery, three tanneries, two smithies and one foundry
1851 - Thomas Campbell builds Campbell Café
1864 - Deadly train accident between Beloeil and Mont-Saint-Hilaire
1871 - Construction of a pilgrims chapel on Pain de Sucre
1874 - Construction of Iroquois Hotel
1876 - Cross on Pain de Sucre destroyed by lightning
1895 - Iroquois Hotel burns down
1912 - The village of Saint-Hilaire secedes from the parish municipality
1913 - Brigadier Andrew Hamilton Gault purchases mountain for 35000$
1941 - Construction of Beloeil Bridge
1944 - Sugar beet refinery opens
1946 - Construction of Foyer Savoy
1950 - Creation of downhill ski run on western slope
1958 - Brigadier Gault bequeaths mountain to McGill University
1959 - Poudrette quarry begins operations
1963 - Downhill ski run closes
1970 - Public transit begins operations
1972 - Nature Conservation Centre established
1986 - Sugar beet refinery closes
1988 - Destruction of Foyer Savoy after it's sale
1997 - Citizen-led fight to protect mountain environs and prevent high density residential development
1741 - First seigneurial landgrants
1751 - Mountain slope deforestation begins
1936 - Mountain slope covered by 60000 apple trees
2000 - 36,3% of area is forested