All Aboard! Exploring the Newfoundland Railway

The Museum

Museum Treasures

Double Egg Cup

Click for HTML Version
Image of Double Egg Cup

JavaScript must be enabled and the latest Adobe Flash Player must be installed to interact with this page.

Double Egg Cup:

This kind of double egg cup was used on the Newfoundland Railway in the 1930s and 1940s. It is 14 cm high and manufactured in England of ironstone. Ironstone is a very dense earthenware which in colour and hardness resembles Chinese porcelain. The success of the material derived from it being stronger than porcelain and less likely to splinter or crack at the edges. The cup features the Newfoundland Railway insignia which was used from 1926, when the Railway was renamed "Newfoundland Railway" until Confederation in 1949.

These cups were used to eat a boiled egg in the small end as usual and the larger end is for the egg to be chopped, mixed with salt and pepper and eaten with a spoon or fork

From the collection of the Railway Coastal Museum.

Click a thumbnail image to view that artefact and rotate it 360 degrees. Control the rotation using the back and forward buttons.