All Aboard! Exploring the Newfoundland Railway

Interactive Map

St. John's

Riverhead Station St. John's as seen from Water Street c. 1905.
Riverhead Station at the West End of St. John's which presently houses the Railway Coastal Museum, c. 1905. The first St. John's railway station was at the east end of the town. Under the 1898 Railway Contract, Reids had agreed to build a new headquarters station in the west end. The west end railway station, also known as the Riverhead station, was built in 1902 with native granite blocks, 2 feet thick, and occupied in January 1903. It is three stories tall, measures 125 feet x 50, and covers an area of 18,750 square feet. The first train left the station in June of 1903, bound for Port aux Basques, where it arrived almost 28 hours later. Railway Coastal Museum.

Back to Interactive Map