All Aboard! Exploring the Newfoundland Railway

Interactive Map

Lewisporte

People gathered at station wharf in Lewisporte, 1940s.
Lewisporte was an important stop for trains and coastal boats and it became the major port to northern Newfoundland and Labrador. Between 1906 to 1909 the Anglo-Newfoundland Development Company mill at Grand Falls was being constructed. As no rail or road connection to Botwood had been made, construction materials and machinery for this project came through this port. Fabian Kennedy Collection.
One of the early trains with its crew in Lewisporte, ca. 1906.
In the late 1930s, construction began on Gander Airport, and coal, oil, gas, and construction materials were transported from here to the construction site. Following the start of World War II in September 1939, Lewisporte was a very busy terminal as it became an important base of operations for the Canadian forces. The supply of aviation fuel for Gander was viewed to be of such military importance that guns were set up to defend against possible attacks by German U-boats. CN Pensioners Collection.
A branchline mixed train ready to leave Lewisporte for Bishop's Falls in the early 1950s.
Here you can see the Manual Hotel standing high above surrounding buildings. A coal burning 90-class locomotive is performing switching duties while boxcars and passenger equipment can be seen on adjoining tracks. Collection Job Blackmore.

Back to Interactive Map