All Aboard! Exploring the Newfoundland Railway

Interactive Map

Notre Dame Junction

View from tracks of Notre Dame Junction station in June 1979.
This was one of the first stations of the Newfoundland Railway. It was the junction point for the Lewisporte branch where the Lewisporte mixed trains - passenger and freight cars - would connect with passenger trains. Notre Dame Junction was established in 1898 when the Reid Newfoundland Company began construction of the branch line to Lewisporte. It soon became an important stop on the railway as Lewisporte became the major port to northern Newfoundland and Labrador. In 1901, only the station master lived here, but by 1935 the population reached 35, including several section men and station employees, and their families. This station operated until 1984 when it was closed along with 32 other stations on the railway. CN Pensioners Collection.

Back to Interactive Map