All Aboard! Exploring the Newfoundland Railway

Interactive Map

Norris Arm

Norris Arm Station and hotel, ca 1895.
The railway came through Norris Arm in 1893. The community boomed overnight as it was the only place in Notre Dame Bay accessible to the railway. It was also the last port where equipment could be obtained by Reid in the construction of the railway until it reached Corner Brook in the Bay of Islands, 150 miles to the west. Railway Coastal Museum. Reid built several elaborate stations such as this one, some serving as hotels for passengers coming from communities along the coast.

Back to Interactive Map