All Aboard! Exploring the Newfoundland Railway

Interactive Map

Port Aux Basques

A passenger train leaving Port aux Basques, ca. 1949.
There were two stations on the Newfoundland railway line where the passenger train backed in to the station: one was Lewisporte on the Lewisporte branch line and the other was Port aux Basques on the main line. There used to be three such stations until the train stopped backing into Placentia station and headed to Argentia instead. These were stations where the end of the rail was at the salt water's edge. A.R. Penney Collection.
The S.S. Caribou docked in Port aux Basques, 1938.
Railway Coastal Museum.
The S.S. Bruce and passenger train from across inlet.
Port aux Basques was the final stop on the Railway coming from St. John's. This was the connecting point for ferry service to mainland Canada and the United States. The very first train left the St. John's station in June 1898, and it met the coastal boat S.S. Bruce in Port aux Basques. The S.S. Bruce was an extension of the Railway and connected Newfoundland with the rest of Canada. Because Port aux Basques was a freight hub, the yard was dual-gauged, meaning that it had three lines in order to accommodate the narrow-gauge system in Newfoundland, and also the standard-gauge system of Canada. Port aux Basques was and still is a major transportation hub for people traveling on and off the Island. Today, several ferries in the Marine Atlantic fleet, make the trip from Port aux Basques to Nova Scotia. Provincial Archives, The Rooms.

Back to Interactive Map