All Aboard! Exploring the Newfoundland Railway

Interactive Map

Placentia

Railway tracks in Placentia East, 1920s.
As early as the 16th century, Basque Fishermen and European explorers recognized the potential that lay within Placentia's sheltered shores. The surrounding steep hills and narrow harbour entrance made Placentia a valuable military port. French and English settlers waged war for centuries over this prime piece of New World real estate, each vying for its share of the strategic and thriving fishery strategic location. Railway Coastal Museum.
Old railway station , ca. 1900.

In 1662, France had established the first permanent colony in what they called "Plaisance" or "the pleasant place." In 1713, the English had won ownership, launching an era of booming trade and transportation.

Placentia Station was the original terminal of the Placentia Branch Line. In the 1920s, the Line was re-routed to Argentia. Railway Coastal Museum.

Back to Interactive Map