All Aboard! Exploring the Newfoundland Railway

The Museum

History of the Museum

Previous Page Page 3

Charlie Henderson was born in Scotland and came to Newfoundland in 1890 as a stone cutter. After 1898 he was foreman at the Quarry, Gaff Topsail, cutting the cobblestones to pave water Street and stone for the new train station. He was Master Mason during the construction of the station.

Granite quarry, c. 1900.
Granite Quarry near Gaff Topsail, c. 1900. 24.01.002 Coll-137 Archives and Manuscripts, QEII, Memorial University.
 The fountain at the base of the statue.
The statue "Maid of Industry" served many years as a public drinking fountain. Selina Asgar, 2008.