All Aboard! Exploring the Newfoundland Railway

The Museum

History of the Museum

Museum Renovations Slideshow

Riverhead Station St. John's c. 1905 as seen from Water Street.

Riverhead Station at the West End of St. John's which presently houses the Railway Coastal Museum, c. 1905.

The building which now houses the Railway Coastal Museum could tell many stories. It was built between 1900 and 1902 and opened as a Railway Station in 1903. Built with granite from a quarry in Newfoundland it was meant to last. And last it did. It served as the St. John's Railway Station until 1968 and then as Bus Depot until 1995. Then it was left unoccupied until its new function as Museum and City Archives. The renovations took place during 2002-2003. This slideshow will give you a brief tour through the dramatic alteration of the building from train station to museum. The building has also been designated as a National Historic Monument. Railway Coastal Museum.

Page 1 of 29

back to THE MUSEUM History of the Museum page 1