All Aboard! Exploring the Newfoundland Railway

The Museum

Museum Exhibits

3 - Railway Office Area

Video Tour of the Newfoundland Railway Office

JavaScript must be enabled and the latest Adobe Flash Player must be installed to interact with this page.

Length: 2:10 Min
File Size: 2.3 Mb
Transcript

This reproduction of the Old Railway Office contains two desks. One is a solid and elaborate oak desk inlaid with leather and many pigeon holes. It is believed to have belonged to R.G. Reid Jr. who was the General Superintendent of the Railway from 1906-1923.

The safe is believed to have been purchased in 1903 when this station was built. Manufactured by Taylor Safe Works in Toronto, the safe was left in the station under the Railway Settlement Act of 1923, at which time the only things removed by the Reids were their own private papers.

In this area you will also notice a number of exhibit panels that elaborate on the history of the railway in Newfoundland. Notice the communication signal flags that are flying above the exhibits.