Photograph by Sarah Spotowski, 2016
Originally constructed as a drill shed in 1874, the Aurora Armoury has undergone many functional and aesthetic changes over the years- although its footprint has remained relatively the same.
When it was first built the Armoury had dark wooden exterior walls making it quite distinctive in many early photos. The most notable change to the Armoury occurred in 1941 with the addition of white painted lumber siding. Since then the Armoury has maintained the exterior white aesthetic although the siding is now vinyl or aluminum, rather then wood.
In 2012 the Armoury was deemed untenable and the Department of National Defense declared it as surplus. Two years later Town Council agreed to purchase the building back from the federal government- ending 140 years of Crown ownership over the historic Armoury.