The Chester Train Station on the Halifax and South Western Railway line was built in 1905. The H & SW line, affectionately dubbed the “hellish slow and wobbly” connected Halifax to Yarmouth, and was key to furthering local economic development. The daily run brought mail, passengers and freight to the village.
In November, 1920 Hawboldt Gas Engines Ltd. and the Halifax and South Western Railway drafted an Agreement giving the line access to several parcels of land adjacent to the Station and tracks. This Agreement was later amended and signed in December, 1922 whereby the Halifax and South Western Railway paid Hawboldt Gas Engines $200 for the land. Six years later, in July1928, the railway signed a further Agreement to pay Hawboldt Gas Engines Ltd. $25 per annum to supply water.
The Halifax and South Western Railway became part of the Canadian National Railways in 1918, but it continued to be known as the H & SW Railway and made daily runs to southwest Nova Scotia until 1954 when CN discontinued its passenger service.
In 1981 the Station was purchased by the Chester Municipal Heritage Society and the rail lines were torn-up and replaced with a multi-use recreational trail.
Chester Municipal Heritage Society