Reford, Robert Wilson
Les Amis des Jardins de Métis Collection
The bell in front of Estevan Lodge was salvaged from the S.S. Galicia, a cargo ship sunk by a mine in the English Channel in 1917 during the First World War. Quite how it ended up in Metis is unknown. But suspended from a teak support, it was a landmark for decades. The bell was rung to call family and their guests to lunch and dinner and could be heard from long distances.
It was also the favourite venue where generations of family and friends suspended their trophies. Trophy shots preserved for posterity the catch of the day. This photo shows four fish, at least one of which is well over 20 pounds.