Credit: Société d’histoire de Malartic
The Sladen area was staked between 1923 and 1924 by B. Sladen and H. S. Kennedy and was located between East Malartic and Canadian Malartic about 300 meters from the actual town. The area straddles the Cadillac Fault, but thick overburden covered the ground and rendered the operation difficult.
In 1935, the mine began digging two shafts, one at 61 meters and the other at 165 meters. Then, in 1937, a mill was built, which went into production the following year. Mining began at a modest pace. In 1937, production was around 250 tons per day because of difficult operating conditions. Yet a few years later, in 1940, the 165 employees at the mine managed to produce about 700 tons per day.
Finally, the mine closed its doors in August 1948. Lake Shore Mines Ltd bought Barnat/Sladen Mine in 1970, reopened it in 1976 and exploited it until 1979.