Credit: Musée minéralogique de l’Abitibi-Témiscamingue
In 1932, Mr. James Paul Norrie and Mr. L.K. Coffin staked the land located half a kilometre from actual Malartic in the direction of Val d’Or. They began construction of the mine and sinking the shafts wells. Production began at the end of 1938.
Tragedies and War
The 1940s were difficult. The Second World War was raging and lack of manpower considerably slowed down the development of the mine. However, after the end of the war in 1945, conditions began to improve. Work continued in the new shaft. Completion was planned for autumn 1947. Unfortunately, on April 24, 1947, a fire erupted underground at the tenth level, which causeds the death of twelve miners.
In August 1952, the United Steelworkers Union was recognized by the Ministère du Travail du Québec as the official spokesperson for the Company’s employees.
The following years were difficult as grades are low and ore reserves are dwindling. As a result, mine managers ceased underground development work in April 1979. However, the mill continued to process ore for Doyon and Bousquet Mine until its closing in the years 2000.