Credit: Société d’histoire de Malartic / André Lafontaine Fonds
An Abundant Deposit, A Prosperous Mine
In 1934, W.B Crane and John Partanen, under the leadership of James Paul Norrie, staked on the Cadillac Fault’s extension, 10 km west of Malartic.
Construction of the mill began in 1937. Mining operations started on December 26, 1939 under the name of Malartic Goldfield. Production was ramping up and the mine was a main gold producer in the region for several years.
The Malartic Goldfield also milled ore on a contractual basis, in order to maintain the operations. It processed ore from the Norlartic, Marban and 75% of Barnat’s ore.