Credit: Musée minéralogique de l’Abitibi-Témiscamingue
The Camflo Mine was located approximately 4 miles east of Malartic. The sinking of the well began in the summer of 1963. The subsequent underground development warranted the beginning of production in May 1965. At first, the mineral was processed at the Goldfield Mine Mill. Once the mine was profitable, the company build its own mill, which had a capacity of a 1000 ton per day and opened for operations the summer of 1969. In February 1975, the mill was expanded to process up to 1300 ton per day.
In May 1980, a deal is made with Malartic Hygrade to begin mining the porphyry rock located on their site just north of the Camflo Mine. In May 1983, a last sinking reached 4065 feet in depth. In January 1986, the mine had treated a total of 7 748 946 tons of rock with an average extraction of 0.1911 ounce of gold per ton of rock, for a total of 1 480 729 ounces of gold. This Mine was renowned for having one of the lowest production costs in all North America. Richmont Mines acquired the mill August 19, 1993, after the former owner, Barrick Gold, closed it in 1992.