Who is responsible?
The title of this article is, "You Own the Forests". Is this a true statement? Read carefully to see if there is any evidence that you, as a citizen of BC, 'own' the forests. Does this make you responsible for them?
We Can’t Live without Trees: Sustainable Forestry
This vignette explores what is meant by sustainable forestry and how processes like eco-certification are contributing to sustainable forestry practices in British Columbia.
Managing our forests to benefit all
Read "We can't live without trees: Sustainable Forestry".
1. What are the 4 factors that most people include when they use the term, 'sustainable forestry'?
2. Identify 3 things that we value and use forests to provide.
3. How do we tell the world that we manage our forests for sustainability so they will buy our forest products?
View the video, 'Sustainable Forest Management'.
In British Columbia when we use our forests, we impact many more things than just trees. Create a diagram that shows how logging effects forests, habitat, recreation, etc.
Forests as a source of Carbon Dioxide
Trees produce their own food and contribute to the ecosystem.
The debate rages - log and use old forests for our economic benefit, they have done their job of cleaning carbon from the atmosphere versus preserve forests for habitat and keep the carbon locked up!
Which is the better environmental plan for sustainability:
1. Log old growth forests so new forests grow and remove carbon from the atmosphere, or
2. Preserve the old forests so the carbon locked in the trees is not released into the atmosphere?
Provide evidence from what you have learned to support your decision.
Grade 5 Social Studies
identify the benefits of sustainable forest practices
take and defend a position on logging and sustainability
explain why sustainability is important to BC communities
BC Grade 5 Social Studies IRP Outcomes:
Human and Physical Environment, E3 - explain why sustainability is important
Skills and Processes, A1 - apply critical thinking skills
A5 - defend a position on a selected topic