Franklin Carmichael, The Valley

When this view of a river valley outside Toronto was included in the Group of Seven’s 1923 American exhibition, the New York critic Helen Appleton Read took special note, describing it as “…a glacier-green stream winding between green hills and simplified grey-green tree shapes, a wholly delightful painting, fresh, unusual, not too decorative, with nothing of stale picture-making about it, despite the evident competency of the artist [Franklin Carmichael].” The painting was donated to The Edmonton Art Gallery—then known as the Edmonton Museum of the Arts—in 1926, becoming the first Group of Seven work to be acquired by a public institution west of Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Canadian Heritage Information Network
Edmonton Art Gallery

© 2003, CHIN. All Rights Reserved.

Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans