The constant complaint as late as 1800 was that the roads were impossible for wheeled vehicles beyond very local use. By 1850, however, there were both highways and byways, coaches regularly carried both passengers and mail, and there was increasing demand for carriages, fancy cutters in winter and specially designed haywagons on the Tantramar.

As early as 1820 the first carriages were imported into the area, and by the 1830s we see the first indications of carriages being made in local mills and woodworking shops.  Ronald Campbell was learning the trade in the 1820s and 1830s, lists himself as a “carriage maker of Sackville” by 1840, and in the early 1850s he had begun a carriage-making business with his son, George.  Together, they refurbished a building which had been built as tannery in the mid-1840s.  Their business records are on-going beginning in 1853, and they have title to their new establishment by 1855.  That star spinning into place in the previous animation marks the spot!

Beginning with two Campbells, employment grew to at least nine (and occasionally twelve) near the end of the 1800s, and then diminished again through the 20th century until the last two employees drew their last wages in 1951, leaving everything where it sat!  The last decade was spent primarily making repairs. There was no longer a need for specially-designed haywagons, carriages were long since replaced by cars, and the last vehicle built and sold was a type of sleigh still being called a “pung.” Once snowploughs began keeping the roads cleared, even this need passed.
Paul Bogaard
Adèle Hempel, Matt Holmes, Michael Doan
19th Century
Sackville, New Brunswick, CANADA
© 2007, Tantramar Heritage Trust. All Rights Reserved.

Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans