Opening of the Parliament Buildings

Photograph of the opening of the Parliament Buildings

Queen Victoria chose Ottawa as the capital of the Dominion of Canada in 1857. In 1859, Thomas Fuller and Chilion Jones won the contract to design the Centre Block of the parliament buildings. The design was reworked in 1863 by Fuller and Charles Baillargé, and construction was completed in 1866. This photograph of the Centre Block was taken in 1866, shortly after its completion. The Parliament Buildings were built in a Gothic Revival style.

Unknown
1866-06-08
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
PA-120596, DAPDCAP 202404, MIKAN 3192920
© 2007, Library and Archives Canada. All Rights Reserved.


Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans