The Auditorium in Ottawa, built on O’Connor Street, opened its doors for the first time on December 1st, 1923 hosting a hockey game featuring the buildings’ main tenants, the defending Stanley Cup Champion Ottawa Senators. Make no mistake, this modern 10,000 seat building was built primarily as the home for what was then hockey’s greatest team. On that opening night the Senators iced legends like "King" Clancy, Frank Nighbor, Cy Denneny and Clint Benedict. While the Senators were the class of the league in the 1920’s, they ran into financial trouble in the early ’30’s. After suspending operations for a year, they were still in trouble and returned to the NHL, eventually transferring to St. Louis. After the departure of the Senators, the Auditorium became home to many other hockey clubs. Its existence spanned an era where three different Ottawa clubs captured the Allan Cup. The rink was also home to a new Senators club, this time participating in inter-city play in the Montreal Senior Group which later became the Quebec League.

It seems fitting that the Ottawa Auditorium, home to one of the greatest teams of the NHL’s early glory days, closed in 1967, the same year the NHL expanded and began what is commonly referred to as the modern era of the league.

CHIN

© 2001, CHIN. All Rights Reserved.

Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans