The Vancouver Arena was built in 1911 and opened on December 28th of that year. The Patrick brothers, Frank and Lester, felt that it was in the best interests of their new league, the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, to have the buildings built and operated by the team owners. The Vancouver Arena was built for $210,000 and was when it opened the world’s largest artificial ice surface in the world. This impressive building also seated an incredible ten thousand five hundred spectators, which the comprised ten percent of the entire urban population of Vancouver. The building was home to the PCHA’s Vancouver Millionaires as well as the Vancouver Maroons and the Vancouver Lions. However, its capacity was never close to being reached for the PCHA games and the league would last only a little over a decade before folding. The Western Canada Hockey League assumed two of the franchises from the now defunct PCHA, and the Vancouver Maroons continued to call the building home until its demise in 1926. A different WHL would surface in the mid-forties with a Vancouver club part of it.

CHIN

© 2001, CHIN. All Rights Reserved.

Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans