Official Seal of New Brunswick, 1785

The first official seal of New Brunswick was granted in 1785

The first official seal of New Brunswick was granted in 1785. Placed on documents signed by the Governor, it was composed of paper-covered with wax. Illustrated was a ship sailing up a river, with lofty pines on each side, and bearing the motto “Spem Reduxit” ( “Hope Restored” ).

Provincial Archives of New Brunswick
Provincial Archives of New Brunswick
1785
P110-1
© 2006, Provincial Archives of New Brunswick, Province of New Brunswick. All Rights Reserved.


Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans