The Farmers' Bank of Rustico
Skip to content
Next page

Doucet House

 

Doucet House

Historical Significance

The Doucet House originally sat on Grand Père Point (also known as Cymbria) in Rustico, Prince Edward Island. It may be one of the oldest houses on PEI, having been built in 1772. In 1758 most Acadian families on Prince Edward Island were deported out of Acadia by the British, but many managed to hide in the woods or in safe regions, waiting for a time when they could return to their homes.

The Doucet House was built during the time period that many Acadian families were returning to PEI after the expulsion, to rebuild and reclaim their territory. Because of this, the house provides an important record of the daily lives and hardships the Acadians may have experienced while forging a new beginning for themselves and their families. It is also a fantastic example of Acadian construction techniques, demonstrating the ingenious ways in which these people adapted to life in this time and climate.

Original Inhabitants

The original owner and builder of the Doucet House was Jean Doucet, a 5th generation Doucet, directly descended from the first Doucet to arrive in Acadia (Germain Doucet).His father, Francois, came to PEI in 1741 and settled in the Malpeque area. Jean was born a few years later, in 1744.

Francois, Jean, and the rest of their family left Prince Edward Island during the explusion, and it is thought that they hid somewhere in northern New Brunswick, and later the island of Miquelon. They were definitely on Miquelon during the later years of their expulsion, as church records show that Jean Doucet married Marguerite Gaudet there in 1767.

page 1
View of Doucet House Homestead in 1960's

A painting of the Doucet homestead on Grand Père Point, as it looked in the 1960's. Circa 1960, Farmers' Bank Collection.

Side view of Doucet House restored. 2003

The Doucet House as it looks today, restored. 2003. Farmers' Bank Collection.

Geneological chart of descendants of Jean Doucet

Jean Doucet's descendants, and past owners of the Doucet House. 2003. Carter Jeffery Collection.

copyright Copyright