Back to Batoche Virtual Museum of Canada Back to Batoche Back to Batoche
Home • About Back to Batoche • 1885 Batoche • Back to Batoche Festival • Resources  
• View Flash Site (Recommended for Broadband Visitors) • Credits • Feedback • Links • Français • Site Map  

Literature

Resources > Literature > Documents

St. Antoine de Padoue Church

Ludger Gareau built the church in 1884, using the “Red River” frame construction. For this construction technique, logs were laid horizontally, on top of each other and slotted grooved vertical timbers were placed at each end. The church was named in honour of St. Anthony of Padua (1195-1231), a Portuguese Franciscan and renowned healer.

Louis Riel seized the St. Antoine de Padoue Church at the beginning of the 1885 Resistance. During the Battle of Batoche (May 9-12, 1885), priests, women, and children stayed in the rectory. On May 9, 1885 bullets from a Gatling gun struck the rectory. One of the bullets went through the wall and hit Father Moulin in the leg. During the battle, a great deal of the fighting took place near the church. However, other than receiving a few bullet holes the church remained unscathed. The church is now located on the Batoche National Historical Site, and is jointly administered by Parks Canada and the Métis Nation – Saskatchewan.

References:

Batoche National Historic Site of Canada, “What’s New”. http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/sk/batoche/ne/neuf-new_e.asp

Hildebrandt, Walter. The Battle of Batoche: British Small Warfare and the Entrenched Métis. Hull, Québec: Minister of Supply and Services Canada, 1989.

© 2005-2006 Gabriel Dumont Institute
All Rights Reserved - Tous droits rιservιs
Copyright Disclaimer - Avertissement sur les droits d'auteur