The Force in the North

Braeburn

Braeburn was a small, temporary detachment on the White Horse-Dawson Trail. The following excerpts from Police Annuals show the quick establishment and decommissioning of the detachment. The area continued to be checked by patrols.

In 1902, the Braeburn NWMP post had 1 sergeant and 3 constables and 4 horses. This is a new detachment on the White Horse-Dawson trail. The members are stationed at Lower Laberge during navigation. (North-West Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1903:39, 43.)

In 1903, the Braeburn NWMP detachment had 1 corporal, 4 constables and there were 2 horses. The horses remained at the detachment year-round. Braeburn was part of H Division out of Whitehorse. A stable and two storehouses were erected on the Braeburn detachment during the summer of 1903. (Report of Assistant Commissioner Wood. North-West Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1904:17, 28.)

In 1906, the RNWMP was further reduced in strength and Dalton House and Braeburn in the 'H' Division were abandoned, at least temporarily. (Royal Northwest Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1907:8, 21.)

In 1908, patrols to Yukon Crossing, Little Salmon, Montague and Braeburn were made from Tantalus. (Royal Northwest Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1909:218. )

The Braeburn detachment operated from 1902 to 1906. Today, Braeburn still has a roadhouse restaurant on the highway but no longer has any RMCP members posted there.