The Force in the North

Dalton Trail

After the White Pass and Chilkoot summits were under control, James Walsh instructed Inspector Wood to put an officer and 10 men at the international boundary on the Dalton Trail as soon as possible. (Jim Wallace, Forty Mile to Bonanza: The North-West Mounted Police in the Klondike Gold Rush. Calgary: Bunker to Bunker Publishing. 2000:98-100, 112, 152.)

The Dalton Trail Post was much improved in 1900. A 20’ x 30’ building was completed, except for the roof and another 12’ x 14’ was completed for the Indian special constables who last year had to live in a tent. There is a two-story dog shelter 20’ x 30 with the upstairs used to store feed. Dalton Trail post is the farthest inland of the present boundary posts and will always be required for custom purposes. Dalton House Detachment is on the Alsek River, about 75 miles farther inland and there is one constable and one special constable, an Indian, at this post. (Report of the North- West Mounted Police, 1900. Sessional Papers, Volume 11. Ottawa: Queen’s Printer. 1901:57.)  

The NWMP Dalton House Post was abandoned for the winter in 1902. (North-West Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1903:14, 15.)

In 1903, the new gold strikes on the Alsec River and Lake Kluhani [sic] necessitated frequent patrols to that part of the White Horse District, not only from White Horse but also from the Dalton Trail. (Report of Assistant Commissioner Wood. North-West Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1904:14)

In 1906, the RNWMP was further reduced in strength and Dalton House and Braeburn in the 'H' Division were abandoned, at least temporarily: The Dalton House detachment was of no benefit as a police post, the Dalton Trail being very little travelled and only by Indians.  (Royal Northwest Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1907:8, 21.)

The Dalton House detachment closed in 1906.