The Force in the North

Mayo/McQuesten

Mayo

In 1911, it was necessary to open the Mayo detachment because of the large number of miners and prospectors in the Duncan and Mayo districts. The detachment will be permanent for some time. (Report of the North-West Mounted Police, 1911. Sessional Paper No. 28. Ottawa: Queen’s Printer. 1911:213.)

In 1912, the Mayo detachment was open all year with 1 constable and a dog team. (Report of the North-West Mounted Police, 1912. Sessional Paper No. 28. Ottawa: Queen’s Printer. 1912:242.)

Between 1916 and 1918, the Mayo detachment was manned by one Mountie. Mayo maintains an RCMP detachment today.

McQuesten

A large number of people located in the Clear creek mining district so the old post at the mouth of the McQuesten River was re-established in 1900. (Report of the North- West Mounted Police, 1900. Sessional Papers, Volume 11. Ottawa: Queen’s Printer. 1901:4.)

In 1901, there was one sergeant, 1 constable, 1 special and 1 dog team stationed here. (Report of the North-West Mounted Police, 1901. Sessional Papers, Volume 11. Ottawa: Queen’s Printer. 1902:53.)

The McQuesten detachment operated from 1900 to 1905.