The Force in the North

Ross River

In 1921, Chappie Chapman was sent to Ross River to open a detachment. There were no wood camps on the Pelly. They travelled on the T&D [Taylor & Drury] boat, the Thistle. T&D had stores at Champagne, Carmacks, Fort Selkirk, Teslin and Ross River. All the male passengers were expected to cut wood along the way. Chappie operated a crosscut saw with Bishop Stringer. The trip took about 4 days. (Charles Chapman was interviewed by Cal Waddington for Parks and Historic Sites, July - September 1978. Yukon River Aural History Project. YA Acc # 81/32)

The detachment at Ross River remains in operation today.