The Force in the North

Takhini Crossing

In 1902, 20’ x 30’ log buildings were being erected at the crossing of the Takhini, at a place named Kycock, 40 miles from the Takhini, and at a second crossing of the Nordenskiold on the new government trail. A winter detachment will be stationed at the crossing of the Takhini River, 22 miles from White Horse on the White Horse -Dawson trail. There will be 1 NCO and 3 constables. (North-West Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1903:36.)

In 1903, the 'Takheena' NWMP detachment had 1 corporal, 2 constables and there were 2 horses. Takheena was part of H Division out of Whitehorse. A barracks, storehouses, stable and forage shed were erected at 'Takhini' during the winter of 1902/03. Commissioner Wood spells the place 'Takhenna' and Superintendent Snyder spells it 'Takhini'.  (North-West Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1904:17, 22, 26, 28.)

Accommodation at the Takhini detachment were inadequate in 1904 so the mud roof was taken off, the building was raised a half story, and a shingled roof was put on. An additional stable to hold 8 horses was also built. This post also needs a kitchen and mess room, also a new guard room is urgently required. (Royal Northwest Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1905:27.)

In 1906, there were 2 Constables and 3 horses at the Takhini RNWMP post. The police-owned ferry was again let to the roadhouse-keeper at Takhini saving the police from repairing it every year. (Royal Northwest Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1907:21, 22.)   

In 1907, the following detachments were abandoned during the year: Conrad, Kluahne and Takhini in the Whitehorse district and Stewart River, Gold Bottom and Quartz among the Dawson outposts. The ferry at Takhini was sold to the Royal Mail service of the WP&YR. They only use it in the spring and autumn but the key is left at Takhini and the police have the use of it at all times. (Royal Northwest Mounted Police Annual Report. Sessional Paper No. 28. 1908:11, 20.)