Beacons of Light - Lighthouses of Prince Edward Island Virtual Museum of Canada
Navigation
               

Point Prim Lighthouse History

During the first half of the 1800’s the population of Prince Edward Island increased rapidly. So too did the shipping. For some time shippers had paid a Light Duty, but no lighthouses had been built. This fact was brought to the attention of the Lieutenant Governor, Sir Henry Vere Huntley, when two memorials dated August 23, 1844, were presented to him on March 11, 1845. The first memorial was written by the Directors of the Prince Edward Island Steam Navigation Company which ran the St. George, a steam ship which operated regularly in the summer between Charlottetown and Pictou, Nova Scotia. The second memorial was written by a group of influential merchants and ship owners.

The memorials pointed out the dangers to shipping because of the lack of lighthouses and the fact that the government had been collecting a Light Duty for years without supplying any lights. Apparently the timing was right, because action soon followed.

On April 5, 1845, the House of Assembly stated that the sum of five hundred and fifty pounds be granted and placed at the disposal of the Governor in Council “to defray the expense of a lighthouse on Point Prim, of stone and brick, agreeably to a plan and specification submitted to the House by Mr. Isaac Smith.” A further five pounds was allocated for clearing the land for the site.

These strong timbers support the weight of the heavy metal Lantern Room. 2006. Carol Livingstone.
These strong timbers support the weight of the heavy metal lantern room.
The decorative brackets support the deck and the Lantern Room.
The decorative brackets support the deck and the lantern room.
 
   
 
© 2007, Community Museums Association of Prince Edward Island Comments Credits Home Francais