The following appeared in The Islander, a discontinued
local newspaper, on April 5, 1845: “On Monday last, a Committee
appointed by the House of Assembly, consisting of Hon. Joseph Pope,
Speaker F. Longworth, W. Douse, G. Coles, A. MacLean, and D. Montgomery,
Esqs., accompanied by the Hon. T. H. Haviland, W. Cundall, Esq. High
Sherrif, L.W.Gall, Esq. Land Surveyor, and J. D. Macdonnell, W. Bremmer,
George Birnie, J. Longworth, M. Dogherty, and Isaac Smith, Esqs. and
the two Masters Dopuse, proceeded, in ten sleighs, to Point Prim,
for the purpose of selecting a site for the intended Light House.
The party left the Queen’s Wharf about ten, and after crossing
the Portage to Belle Vue, drove out on the ice in a direct line about
thirteen miles to Point Prim. On landing, a site was chosen for the
building, which commands a beautiful view of some thirty miles of
the Straits of Northumberland, the different points at that distance
being easily distinguished. The land was surveyed by Mr. Gall, and
the clearing of the woods for the building disposed of to persons
from the neighbouring settlements.
The party partook of a lunch and returned the sixteen miles, on one
hour and twenty minutes, thus showing the facility with which travelling
can be performed on good ice in winter.
We may observe that the site for the building was given by the Right
Hon. The Earl of Selkirk through his Land Agent, Wm. Douse. Esq.,
and will add much to that part of his Lordship’s property. The
House of Assembly have provided a grant of money for its erection,
and the work will commence forthwith.”
On April 17, 1845, an Act was passed to make provision for the support
of Lighthouses, Buoys and Beacons.