Beacons of Light - Lighthouses of Prince Edward Island Virtual Museum of Canada
Navigation
      Previous Page Point Prim Lighthouse - Keepers page 2 Next Page        


The lighthouse was originally illuminated by four lamps. These proved to be insufficient from a distance, so on February 5, 1850, Commander Beecher of Her Majesty’s Navy made the following recommendations: “the Light would be very much improved by the addition of the three lamps and reflectors…. The additional lamps would not only add to the power of the light, but they would also remove all ground for excuse in the event of the light becoming dim or disappearing again, as in the instance related by Commander Jenner.

“The lighthouse keeper at Point Prim has no assistant, and his salary is not such that he can reasonably be expected to provide one. It is improbable that he, or anyone, can always be sure of avoiding sleep during the thirteen or fourteen consecutive hours of a November or December night, and I therefore recommend that he should be allowed the requisite assistance to insure constant and wakeful attendance.” This assistance was never granted.

The keeper kept a daily log, noting weather, shipping, duties such as painting, and notable events. There was a considerable amount of paperwork. The lighthouse had to be kept spotless and whitewashed or painted as needed. The Federal Department in charge of lighthouses had to be informed of any repairs the keeper couldn’t make and approve of both the carpenter and the cost of any additional materials. Nothing was to be done without approval from headquarters in Charlottetown or Ottawa.

Light similar to that first used at Point Prim.  1845.  Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.
Light similar to that first used at Point Prim.
   
       
Supply ship Brant at Charlottetown Government Wharf.  Circa 1945.  Point Prim Lighthouse.
Supply ship Brant at Charlottetown Government Wharf.
 
     
 
© 2007, Community Museums Association of Prince Edward Island Comments Credits Home Francais