Beacons of Light - Lighthouses of Prince Edward Island Virtual Museum of Canada
Navigation
      Previous Page
Wood Islands Lighthouse - History page 2
Next Page    


During the Parliamentary Session of 1874, the sum of $6,000 was allotted for a lighthouse at Indian Rocks, Wood Islands. It was built at a location east of Indian Rocks.

In 1875, Archibald MacKay of Moncton, New Brunswick, signed a contract to build the lighthouse for $3000, but made little progress, and eventually abandoned the work. Donald MacMillan, a blacksmith and master carpenter, was hired to complete the project. He was the first person to own a kerosene lamp in Wood Islands, and he was known to always keep it burning in an upstairs window to aid those who travelled the Northumberland Strait.

Wood Islands was the second lighthouse built after the Island joined Confederation. A storage shed and an oil shed were built about the same time. The original building plans, dated 1875 and initialled “W.P.A.” (possibly William P. Anderson, Chief Engineer of Marine and Fisheries), were found in the attic of the dwelling when it was leased by the present operators. It shows the main level had an entry, a kitchen, sitting room with closet, and two bedrooms as well as a 5.1 m by 3.6 m (17 foot by 12 foot) wood shed. The second floor had four bedrooms. The third floor was a single room with stairs extending to the lantern room.

Donald D. MacMillan, builder of Wood Islands Lighthouse.  Circa 1890’s. Wood Islands Lighthouse.
 
Donald D. MacMillan, builder of Wood Islands Lighthouse.
   
Steep Lighthouse stairs. 2005. Carol Livingstone.
Steep lighthouse stairs.
 
 
© 2007, Community Museums Association of Prince Edward Island Comments Credits Home Francais