Beacons of Light - Lighthouses of Prince Edward Island Virtual Museum of Canada
Navigation
               

Panmure Island Lighthouse

Panmure Island Lighthouse was the second lighthouse built on Prince Edward Island, and the first to be constructed of wood – a trend that all later lighthouses on the Island would follow. The octagonal shape was also a style that would be followed by the majority of lighthouses built on the Island until it joined Confederation in 1873.

Panmure Island Lighthouse guides shipping into Cardigan Bay on the east coast of Prince Edward Island. Since its construction in 1853 the site has seen numerous outbuildings and living spaces, including keepers’ cottages, barns, sheds and a fog alarm building.

The last lightkeeper at Panmure Island Lighthouse, William MacDonald, retired in 1985. The lighthouse has since been repainted by the Canadian Coast Guard, and the shoreline has seen restoration efforts in response to erosion and storm surges. The late keeper’s daughter and her partner look after the lighthouse and maintain a display and gift shop within the tower.

Panmure Island Lighthouse 2006.
 
Panmure Island Lighthouse.
   
Panorama Tour of Panmure Island
 
Panmure Island Video Tour
 
Video Interview
 
 
© 2007, Community Museums Association of Prince Edward Island Comments Credits Home Francais