Gallery Thumbnail Gallery Stories Contact Us Search
The House of Snider in Toronto - A Canadian Clocks Success Story 1950 - 1976
The Canadian Clock Museum
Deep River , Ontario

Enter

   Harry Snider's calling was
time. As a young man in the
1930s, he started working
with clocks at the
Blackforest Clock Company in
Toronto. The business name
was changed in 1941 to the
Forestville Clock Company
because of the Second World
War. In the early 1940s, he

went out on his own,
establishing Harry Snider and
Company, which imported and
distributed items related to
the jewellery trade. But it
would just be a matter of
time before Harry decided to
manufacture clocks himself,
and in 1950 he started the
Snider Clock Corporation.

   Because the name Snider
Clock Corporation was changed
to the Snider Clock
Manufacturing Company Limited
in 1957, clock collectors can
estimate the age of their
Snider clocks. One popular
model was Harry's Golden
Goddess mantel clock, which
was an Art-Deco-style

sculpted nude holding up a
clock.
   The business was a true
family venture; Harry's wife,
Shirley, and two sons, Gary
and Michael, all
participated. Harry's
enterprise peaked in the
1960s when his many wall
models in the "sunburst" /

  Next
Important Notices  
© 2016 All Rights Reserved