Gallery Thumbnail Gallery Stories Contact Us Search
A Century of Education
South Saskatchewan Photo Museum
Arcola , Saskatchewan

Enter

   Settlers began arriving in
southeast Saskatchewan in
1882. The first school south
of the Moose Mountains was
built in 1887, about a mile
north of where Arcola later
came to be. It was built on
land donated by Willard
Scarrow and was named
“Clair.”

   “The settlers took logs
out and built the school
gratis. The Northwest
Government supplied money to
buy lumber for windows, doors
and floors. They also
supplied maps and a
blackboard.”
   Trace the history of
southeast Saskatchewan’s

education through pictures
and the real life accounts of
teachers and students. Some
of these teachers taught in a
one-room country school while
others teach in our modern
education system. This
exhibit holds over 100 years
of education.

   Acknowledgements:
   Thank you to Edna Clark,
Ethel Workman, Ida
Brownridge, Joe Hengen,
Marjorie Hollingshead, Maude
Hunter, Muriel Webb and Ruth
Gardner for their time and
contribution to this
project.

   
Important Notices  
© 2016 All Rights Reserved