Gallery Thumbnail Gallery Stories Contact Us Search
The Port of Port Moody
Port Moody Station Museum
Port Moody , British Columbia

Enter

   Port Moody's port was very
important for the development
of the city. Named after
Royal Engineer commander, Col
Richard C. Moody, Port Moody
provided an ice-free
defensive harbour for the new
capital of the Colony of
British Columbia in 1859. It
had little use as a port

until being named the Western
Terminus of the Canadian
Pacific Railroad in 1879. A
flurry of speculation and
development resulted with the
arrival of the First Train,
November 8, 1885 and the
First Scheduled Passenger
Train, July 4, 1886.
   The building of a

branchline on to Vancouver in
May of 1887 brought a
localized depression. The
lumber industry, save the odd
scow taking bricks to
Vancouver, was the only use
of the port from 1887 to
1908; it was mainly for
bringing logs and shingle
bolts to the mills.

   The oil refining industry
began in 1908 with BC Union
Oil and Imperial Oil joined
in 1914 making use of the
deep seaport. Crude oil was
shipped in until the Trans
Mountain Pipeline was built
in 1953. Shipping out
refined petroleum was
important to logging

  Next
Important Notices  
© 2016 All Rights Reserved