In 1918 a movement for construction of a hospital was started in a public meeting in the Court House at Twillingate. In Notre DameBay there were approximately 100 coastal villages and islands with the nearest hospital at St. Anthony some 90 water miles away and St. John's 250 miles away.
World War I was ending and many Notre Dame Bay men had lost their lives. What a better memorial to these gallant men than to build a hospital in their memory. Dr. Wilfred T. Grenfell was contacted but he was unable to build the hospital at Twillingate but offered his full support to the Provisional Committee appointed at the public meeting in 1918. Within a year $15,000. had been collected through fund raising.
The Notre Dame Bay Memorial Hospital was officially opened on September 20, 1924 by His Excellency the Govenor, Sir William Lamond Allardyce, G.C.M.G.
Fund raising was ongoing when Georgina returned from England in 1929. Word soon spread that she had come home. It was not long before she became active in community and social life again. The "Hustler's Club", a group organized to raise funds for medical equipment for the new Notre Dame Bay Memorial Hospital sought her expertise in staging dramas and she sang selections between the acts of these plays. She once again joined the Dorcas Society, an organization that she had organized many years ago, sewing garments for the poor and needy. As had always been her nature, Georgie gave freely of her time to fund raise and to help those around her.
The Notre Dame Bay Memorial Hospital
Notre Dame Bay Memorial Hospital.
Notre Dame Bay Memorial Hospital
Notre Dame Bay Memorial Hospital Fire destroyed the entire top floor.
In the early hours of Sunday, February 28th, 1943, the entire top floor of the Notre Dame Bay Memorial Hospital and the new wing, including two rooms on the ground floor were destroyed by fire. There was no loss of life. The next day a public meeting was held at the Court House where plans were made to quickly rebuild the fire-ravaged hospital.