While Georgina was abroad Twillingate continued to grow. "The Capital of the North' was a supply center for the surrounding fishing communities. At times the harbour would be filled with ships from around the world bringing good and sometimes the latest fashions from Europe or the USA. Departing ships would carry salted Newfoundland cod to foreign ports.
Plans were underway for a new hospital and a new copper mine was opening.
The copper mining days at Sleepy Cove, near Long Point Lighthouse, at the tip of the North Island, was an important era in Twillingate's history. Here the Great Northern Copper Co. used the open quary method to extract a high quality ore. A native of Twillingate, Obadiah Hodder was general manager and treasurer of the local company. The peak of operation was in 1918 but operation was discontinued in 1920 when copper prices dropped. The mine never re-opened but some of the equipment can still be seen at the Sleepy Cove Municipal Park, operated by the town of Crow Head.
Taking a break at Sleepy Cove Copper Mine. 1918
While Georgina lived abroad Twillingate continued to grow. 1918
Obadiah Hodder, a local Twillingate man, became general manager and treasurer of the Copper Mine. 1918
A Twillingate native, Obadiah Hodder, general manager and treasurer of the Sleepy Cove Copper Mine.
The miners of Sleepy Cove Copper Mine. 1918