Gallery Thumbnail Gallery Stories Contact Us Search
Francophones of Newfoundland & Labrador
Corner Brook Museum & Archives
Corner Brook , Newfoundland and Labrador

Enter

the English. Many of the
French left Newfoundland for
Nova Scotia, but some
remained.
   In 1763, the Treaty of
Paris confirmed the exclusive
fishing rights of the French
on the Newfoundland coast,
from Cape Bonavista in the
east to Cape Ray in the west.

This area, later to be known
as "The French Shore, has
many communities that still
proudly bear the French names
they were once given. In
recent years, 15 000
Francophone descendants of
the area have come to the
forefront to bring back their
French culture and heritage,

and to establish themselves
in their proper place in
Newfoundland and Labrador's
history.

Previous  
Important Notices  
© 2019 All Rights Reserved