Federal Provincial agreement
Doctor Jean Charles Taché visited Tracadie's lazaretto in 1872. He conducted an interesting study of the disease.
He proposed the transfer of administrative responsability of the lazaretto from the provincial to the federal government to facilitate financial aid. Steps were taken and came into effect by the signature of the agreement in presence of the Honourable P. Landry, Minister of Public Works, of father A. Babineau in the name of the Minister of the federal government and of mother Brault and her Council on November 25th, 1880 in Tracadie.
Joseph Charles Taché, 1820-1894
Doctor, politician, journalist, public servant and writer, Joseph Charles Taché, son of Charles Taché, trader, and Louise Henriette de Labroquerie was born December 24th, 1820 in the parish of St. Louis in Kamouraska, Lower Canada. He married Françoise Lepage July 1st, 1847 in Rimouski. They had 6 children. He was elected, without opposition, deputy of Rimouski in the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada on January 24th, 1848 at the age of 27.
He retired as a deputy in December of 1856. Taché had been chosen shortly before to lead a new daily newspaper:the "Courrier du Canada". Taché's employment at the paper ended in October 1859. He took on a few days later the function of inspector of Canada's asylums and prisons. He was then named in August 1864, as deputy minister of Agriculture and Statistics , an important department that also included public health. This would be his last and his longest career as a high ranking civil servant for 24 years. His most remarkable achievement during this period was the census of 1871 for which he determined its content, form and procedure.
He conceived the desire to study leprosy. He wrote to Mr A. K.
McDougall, Provincial Secretary for the government of Fredericton in 1872. Taché expressed his desire to receive authorization to access Tracadie's lazaretto and its archives. From that moment, he never stopped working to better the state of the lepers. Taché judged necessary and urgent to have the lazaretto's jurisdiction transferred over to the federal government since it was under provincial jurisdiction. He worked diligently on this project and succeeded November 25th, 1880.
He lent the nuns the suppport of his influence and the community always held him amongst its main benefactors and best protectors.
Religious Hospitallers of Saint Joseph
Tracadie, New Brunswick, Canada
The Religious Hospitallers of Tracadie in 1893
The Religious Hospitallers of Tracadie in circa 1893 in the garden of the community, near the fence of the lazaretto
Here are the names of the nuns, in the garden of the community:
From left to right, 1st row:
Sisters Amanda Sormany, Landry, Vautour, Otar de la Grange(beginner), Miss Vautour(associate), Blanchard(candidate), and Octavie(lay sister),
sisters Marie Bariault, Elisabeth Landry, Louise Légère, LeRoyer(from Arthabaska), Saint Jean de Goto,(superior), Doucet, Maillet, H. Robichaud, Marguerite Marie, Marie des Anges and Hedwidge.
View of the hospîtal and of the cloister
Tracadie, New Brunswick, Canada
1920 would mark the arrival of the hospital's first resident physician.
Doctor J. E. Paulin would be in charge of the hospital. Important renovations took place. The nuns would seek training to obtain the necessary diplomas. Some of them became registered nurses, pharmacists, dieticians and laboratory or radiology technicians.
The first medical office is composed of 4 members in 1925. The Hôtel Dieu received its
certification letter from the American College of Surgery attesting that it had met the necessary conditions to be admitted in the class of model hospitals in 1930.