An aerial view of The Doucet House and grounds.
Rustico, Prince Edward Island


The Doucet House is not only an important example of early Acadian vernacular architecture on Prince Edward Island but is also a record of early Acadians re-establishing themselves following the expulsion. The house is quite possibly one of the oldest on Prince Edward Island and it is thought that mass was held there in earlier days when a priest was not available to serve the region.


The Doucet House only months before being moved for restoration
1 October 1999
Rustico, Prince Edward Island


Throughout the summer and fall of 1999 the fate of The Doucet House was unknown. John Langdale, the owner of the house at that time, was constructing a new house beside The Doucet House. Recognizing its historical value he put forward an offer to the community that would see the building donated to any caring group who wished to move it to a location where it could be restored. The house was to be demolished if no interest was shown in this offer.

An article was published in the Northern Star newspaper that told of Mr. Langdale's offer and asked any interested parties to contact him.

Father Lyndon Hogan, the parish priest at the time, heard of the offer and contacted Judy MacDonald, President of The Friends of the Farmers' Bank. The Friends were very occupied with the renovations of the The Bank which were just beginning on the interior.

In the month to follow The Friends accepted Mr. Langdale's offer and proceeded to plan for the move of the house.


Edouard Blanchard, local historian, in an article published in The Northern Star community newspaper
1 October 1999
Rustico, Prince Edward Island


Pictured above is Edward Blanchard, Rustico native and local historian, standing in front of the old historic Doucette House. The ageing structure is located in Cymbria on Grand Pere Point, near Rustico Resort. The log house was built on or about the year of 1760, possibly earlier. It was one of the first houses built in Rustico. Tradition relates the house was used for celebrating mass and other religious services by the missionary priests who visited the Acadians from 1772 to 1793, the year the first log church was built adjacent to the Pioneer Cemetery in Rustico.
The historic house is scheduled to be either moved or demolished in the very near future. Anyone interested in acquiring this house for posterity or contributing to its preservation, please advise the owner, John Langdale.

- The Northern Star Newspaper, October 1999


These are the children of Peter Doucet and Marie Gallant.
Rustico, Prince Edward Island


Address by Théophile Blanchard

Our earliest reference to the Doucet House is outlined in an address by Mr. Théophile Blanchard (a descendant of the early Acadian settlers, local resident, well versed in written and oral history of the area), entitled "Homage to our Ancestors" at the plaque unveiling, The Pioneer Cemetery, South Rustico, P.E.I., July 30, 1975. pp. 4.

"…Father MacDonald died in 1785 and since there was no priest to look after the people of Rustico, the Bishop of Quebec appointed a Mr. Jean Doucette who lived on Grand Père Point to carry out certain religious ceremonies. From 1785 to 1790, Jean Doucette could baptize anyone on the Island, and could also receive consents of marriage. The Mass and the other sacraments were not available to the people until 1790 when a most remarkable priest, Father MacEachern came to the Island from Scotland with a number of Scottish families and settled around Scotchfort. Before 1758, Scotchford was a French parish with family names such as Martin, Blanchard, Doucette, etc. Most of them left around this time and settled around Rustico.

There was as yet not a church in Rustico, however, Fr. MacEachern came very often to minister to the French people. It is noted that the first Mass celebrated in Rustico was said by Father James MacDonald in a house on Grand Pére Point built in 1774 and which is now 201 years old and still standing. The house is now owned and occupied by Mr. Rodolphe Doucette and one may still see the dresser in this house that was used as an altar for Mass said by Father MacDonald.

When Father MacEachern came to Rustico in 1795, there were a great many people living here - people had come to settle in Grand Pére Point, Oyster Bed Bridge and North Rustico. He asked the people to build a little church - so a small log building about 25 x 30 feet and another small one-room house was built for the priest who visited the parish."


Cabinet located inside the Doucet House.
Rustico, Prince Edward Island


History of St. Augustine's Church

In the book, History of St. Augustine's Church, 1838-1988, pp. 2-3 the following refers to the Doucet family.

During the years 1772 to 1792, there was no church or building in Rustico judged appropriate for the holding of services, however, it has been said that during one of Fr. MacDonald's visits to Rustico, Mass was celebrated in a house formerly owned by the late Rodolphe Doucette of Cymbria. The house was built of logs, is still used as a residence and is probably one of the oldest houses in Rustico, if not in the whole Island…

Soon after the death of Fr. MacDonald, Bishop Desglis of Quebec commissioned Jean Doucet (le vieux Jean), an Acadian of Rustico, to perform marriages and administer baptisms throughout the Island until such time as a priest or missionary could be found and appointed to look after the Catholic population of the Island. This did not happen for another five years due to an acute shortage of priests. It may be said that Jean Doucet of Rustico was the first lay deacon to be appointed on the Island. Jean Doucet along with his three nephews, Athanase, Michel and Francois are the ancestors of all the Doucet families in Rustico.


Idealized picture of Germain Doucet



(translated from french paragraph below picture)

Germain Doucet

The only ancestor of this name arrived in La Hève, Acadia, in 1632 with commander Isaac de Razilly, where we find him with the title of "the captain of arms of Pentagouët"; he received honours from the war against the Bostonians and returned to France in 1654 leaving two married children in Acadia, one a son, Pierre, who is the ancestor of all Canadian Doucets.


“A Tour through parts of North Provinces
of America”

Patrick M’Robert
Rustico, 1774

“Here, at Little Rustico, is a settlement, and a good deal of clear land, with good grazing for cattle: here is also a pretty good harbour, and little fishing shallops, but not water for any large vessel.

Here I saw very good turnips, and cabbages. From this to Great Rustico, we traveled about six miles along a sandy flat shore: here is a tolerable good harbour for small vessels, a good deal of settlers, mostly French, and a considerable fishery carried on.”


Chart of Acadia
East Coast, Canada