Creator(s): Corner Brook Museum & Archives
In 1922 Corner Brook was a small but thriving community on the Humber Arm of the Bay of Islands in Western Newfoundland. Sawmilling had been an important activity since the 1860s, and the arrival of the railway in 1898 provided a reliable transportation link with the rest of Newfoundland and indeed the world. In 1923 construction of the mill in Corner Brook began and it officially opened in August 1925. The mill had a profound effect on Western Newfoundland.