Creator(s): Fairfield Museum & National Historic Site
Fairfield, a Moravian mission within the wilds of the Carolinian forest of southwestern Ontario, is the first settlement of Europeans within the present day confines of the Municipality of Chatham-Kent in 1792. The peaceful settlement was located along the northwest bank of the Thames River at the large bend in the river, half way between the present communities of Bothwell and Thamesville. Moravian missionaries and Delaware First Nations who were fleeing Pennsylvania from religious persecution settled the village.
This peaceful settlement thrived within the wilds until October 5, 1813, when the victorious American army decided to burn it to the ground following the Battle of the Thames, which was located approximately 2 kilometres southwest of the Fairfield village. All that remain of the village today are the papers and correspondence of the Moravian missionaries and the charred archaeological remains from where the former village of 50 houses once stood.