Creator(s): Wolseley Courthouse Interpretive Centre Inc.
In the early pioneer years of the North-West Territories, Chief Justice Edward L. Wetmore, Sir Frederick W.A.G. Haultain, former Premier of the North-West Territories, and lawyer Levi Thomson contributed to the judicial, socio-political, and economic strata of early Western Canadian society. These men laid the institutional foundation upon which early Canadian society was built.
Discovering the Wolseley Courthouse
The Wolseley Courthouse, built in 1895, is a monument to the decisions made by these men, considered Champions of Justice, during the late colonial period. Historians have noted that courthouses built between 1882 and 1907 operated as an extension of the court system itself, which shaped and implemented the rule of law into a "territorial jurisprudence [which acted] as a bedrock for the region's emerging economy, politics, and society".
Through the use of textual, photographic, and audio material, this exhibit explores how the local history of the Wolseley Courthouse reflects the larger national history of the North-West Territories and Saskatchewan between 1887 and 1909. The exhibit also examines the changing role of the Courthouse in contemporary society.