Places of Our Hearts

Creator(s): Queens County Historical Society & Museum

A shocking upheaval swept through central New Brunswick in the summer of 1952, an upheaval that affected 20 communities and 750 families in Queens and Sunbury Counties. The government of Canada effectively annexed a 1,400-square-kilometre area that year to make way for a large military training facility, as part of its obligations to the United Nations and NATO. The decision dislodged a tightly-knit community with roots extending back to the early 19th century. In this exhibit, the affected families tell their own story about the communities that vanished.

Visit the Exhibit: