Creator(s): Crow's Nest Military Artifacts Association Inc.
During the Second World War, the port of St. John's, Newfoundland, provided protection to the Navy from lurking German U-boat wolf packs that loomed below the surface just outside The Narrows. The Royal Canadian Air Force provided air surveillance from its bases in Torbay, Gander and Botwood. The Americans had bases set up at St. John's and Argentia, to provide further protection. The Crow's Nest Officer's Club was founded in 1942 as a place for weary seagoing officers to relax and rest between their grueling experiences on the Atlantic. Many stopped to have a drink or perhaps just a chat with a comrade. It was a place where the perils of war could be left at the doorstep. The exhibition, mounted by the Crow's Nest Military Association, tells the story of the contributions made by merchant marine, navy, army and air force commands between 1939 and 1945. The building is a living monument, museum and tribute to them.